Graduation Party Planning Checklist
Three Months Before the Party
- Check calendar and call school to get schedule of events
- Decide if you want to co-host with other parents
- Start collecting memorabilia and assembling scrapbook or boards
- Determine budget
- Select date & location
- Call or stop by a rental company to see all the fun stuff for rent - order your tables, chairs and tent. These book early!
- Call caterers or local restaurants for bids
Two Months Before the Party
- Decide on a theme, entertainment
- Order or start making invitations
- Start on invitation list
- Select caterer or ask a friend to help
- Rent tables, games, serving equipment?
- Buy thank you notes, stamps and return address labels
One Month Before the Party
- Buy paper plates, napkins, silverware, glasses, etc.
- Buy decorations, including a centerpiece
- Order food & beverages
- Mail invitations 3 weeks before the party
- Buy cards and gifts for your graduate and friends
- Find a place for your pets
- Finish scrapbook or board
- Save or buy containers for left over food
The Week of the Party
- Pick up food & beverages
- Send additional invitations to school with your graduate
- Wrap gifts for graduate and friends
- Make cardholder and set up decorations/memorabilia
- Confirm hotel reservations for out of town guests
- Set up tent on the day before the party
- Review guest list
- Confirm delivery of rental equipment and plan to be there for a quick inspection
- Talk to your graduate about your expectations during the party
The Day of the Party
- Sleep as late as you can; you’re gonna need all the energy you can get!
- Wake up your graduate with breakfast in bed
- Take your pet to a friend’s for a day of rest
- Set out trash barrels (and recycling boxes if serving canned or bottled drinks)
- Sweep the front entryway, driveway and garage (if you are using it)
- Pick up balloons and put up yard signs and directional signs
- Meet with your helpers. Give them detailed instructions.
- Set tables, serving tables and beverages
- Set out non-perishable food early
- Set out perishable food at the last minute
- Give your graduate a letter saying how proud you are of them
- Give your graduate a big hug and let the celebration begin!